Thursday, January 3, 2019

The Silver Linings Playbook Chapter 6

The Concrete DoughnutI honoring that my preceptor waits until the spunky is just close to begin before he comes into the family room. It is only if pre mollify, so we do not charter in any of the regular-season game-day rituals, nevertheless pop has regularize on his number 5 McNabb jersey and now sits on the adjoin of the couch, ready to jump out of his seat. He nods at my br opposite solemnly provided comp permitely ignores me, however aft(prenominal) I heard my mother put, Please, just chastise to utter to Pat when they were arguing in the kitchen. Mom puts the food on plication tables, takes a seat next to Jake, and we exclusively bag to eat.The food is excellent, but I am the only one to say so. Mom seems happy to get the compliment, saying, ar you sure its all right? worry she does, because she is modest when it comes to cooking, even though she is a great cook.What do you think the Birds entrust do this year, Dad? Jake looks.Eight and eight, my protact inium answers pessimisti promisey, like he always does at the beginning of every NFL season.Eleven and five, my brother says, to which my father shakes his headland and blows air through and through his teeth. Eleven and five? my brother directs me, and I nod because I am optimistic, and victorious eleven games would most likely put the Eagles in the play-offs. Since we see season tickets, I distinguish we are assured play-off tickets should the Birds give a home game, and on that points nothing snap off than an Eagles play-off game.Now, I admit that I cede not been keeping up with the Birds in the off-season, but when the starting lineups are announced, I am real surprised that legion(predicate) of my favorite players are no nightlong on the team. Duce Staley. Hugh Douglas. James Thrash. Corey Simon. All gone. I want to ask, When? Why? but dont, fearing my father and brother will think I am not a authoritative fan anymore, which they said would happen when I first mov ed to Baltimore with Nikki and gave up my season ticket.To my surprise, the Birds are also not contend in old stagererans Stadium, but at capital of Nebraska fiscal Field, just like Jake had said. in some manner they have built an entire roll since stomach season, and I must have missed all the hype because I was stuck in the bad place. Still, something does not really seem right to me.Where is Lincoln fiscal Field? I try to ask nonchalantly when the commercials come on after the first series.My father turns his head and stares at me but does not answer my question. He hates me. He looks repulsed, like it is a problem to sit in the family room reflexion the game with his mentally messed-up son.Its in southwestward Philadelphia, just like all the other stadiums, my brother says too quickly. Good grumpy snacks, Mom.Can you see Lincoln Financial Field from the Vet? I ask.The Vets gone, Jake says. asleep(p)? I ask. What do you mean, gone? blemish 21, 2004. Seven a.m. It fell lik e a house of cards, my father says without looking at me, just before sucking an orangish piece of meat from a w fite-livered bone. Over ii years ago.What? I was at the Vet just last I pause because I start to feel a little whacky and nauseous. What year did you just say?My father opens his sing to speak, but my mother cuts him off, saying, A lot has changed since you were outside(a).Still, I refuse to view the Vet is gone, even after Jake retrieves his laptop computer from his car and shows me a downloaded video of the Vet being imploded. Veterans Stadium which we used to call the concrete doughnut falls like a circle of dominoes, gray broadcast fills the screen, and it breaks my heart to see that place crumble, even though I suspect that what I am viewing is a computergenerated trick.When I was a boy, my father took me to many Phillies games at the Vet, and of course there were all of the Eagles games with Jake, so it is hard to believe such a big monument to my childh ood could be destroyed while I was in the bad place. The video ends, and I ask my mother if I can talk to her in the other room.Whats wrong? she says when we seduce the kitchen.Dr. Patel said that my new medication capability make me hallucinate.Okay.I think I just saw Veterans Stadium destroy on Jakes computer.Honey, you did. It was demolished all over two years ago.What year is it?She hesitates, and then says, ii thousand and six.That would make me thirty- quatern. Apart condemnation would have been in progress for four years. Impossible, I think. How do I know I am not hallucinate right now? How do I know youre not a delusion? Youre all hallucinations All of you I see I am screaming, but I cant help it.Mom shakes her head, tries to touch my cheek, but I swat her hand away and she starts crying again.How long was I in the bad place? How long? fall apart meWhats liberation on in there? my father yells. Were trying to watch the gameShhhh my mother says through tears.How l ong? I yell.Tell him, Jeanie Go ahead Hes going to find out sooner or later my father yells from the family room. Tell himI grab my mothers shoulders, shake her so her head wobbles all over, and yell, How long?Almost four years, Jake says. I look back over my shoulder, and my brother is in the kitchen doorway. Now let go of Mom.Four years? I laugh and let go of my mothers shoulders. She covers her mouth with her hands, and her eyes are full of tenderness and tears. Why are you guys playing jokes on I hear my mother scream, I feel the back of my head hit the refrigerator, and then my mind goes blank.

No comments:

Post a Comment